Fund Manager December Commentary – Henderson EuroTrust
December saw continued equity market progress with rising Covid-19 case numbers not sufficient to offset the enthusiasm resulting from a Brexit deal and from vaccine optimism heading into 2021. The Trust outperformed in December to end a very successful year for performance.
Our best performing positions included Delivery Hero, Aixtron and Embracer. Delivery Hero, as well as being deemed a beneficiary of the ongoing Covid-19 restrictions, rallied strongly after announcing that their deal to acquire Woowa brothers in South Korea had received anti-trust approval. Aixtron has continued to benefit from strong semiconductor market fundamentals as well as progress with a significant technological trial with a large South Korean customer. Embracer has traded well and is progressing on its M&A ambitions.
Our worst performing positions included Unicredit, Telecom Italia and Cellnex. Unicredit suffered from the resignation of their well-respected CEO Jean Pierre Mustier and ensuing concerns about future capital allocation priorities. Telecom Italia sold off, alongside it’s sector, on very little news flow whilst Cellnex ended a very successful year with some profit taking.
We made limited trades in December and those that we did were opportunistic in nature. First, we sold our position in Anima, a position where we were hopeful of M&A as a second derivative impact of Italian banking consolidation; we are now less positive on any potential outcome here. We have also added to our position in Dialog. Finally, we added a position in KPN where persistent media reports suggest a strong likelihood of M&A.
We are confident in our positioning and will continue to retain balance in our exposures by considering two types of business for investment; those where we see high and sustainable returns that are undervalued by the market and those companies where we can see a material improvement in medium term business prospects.
Mergers and acquisitions (M&A): the consolidation of companies or assets through various types of financial transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, consolidations, tender offers, purchase of assets, and management acquisitions.
Please read the following important information regarding funds related to this article.
- If a Company's portfolio is concentrated towards a particular country or geographical region, the investment carries greater risk than a portfolio diversified across more countries.
- The Company may have a particularly concentrated portfolio (low number of holdings) relative to its investment universe and an adverse event impacting only a small number of holdings can create significant volatility or losses for the Company.
- Where the Company invests in assets which are denominated in currencies other than the base currency then currency exchange rate movements may cause the value of investments to fall as well as rise.
- This Company is suitable to be used as one component in several in a diversified investment portfolio. Investors should consider carefully the proportion of their portfolio invested into this Company.
- Active management techniques that have worked well in normal market conditions could prove ineffective or detrimental at other times.
- The Company could lose money if a counterparty with which it trades becomes unwilling or unable to meet its obligations to the Company.
- Shares can lose value rapidly, and typically involve higher risks than bonds or money market instruments. The value of your investment may fall as a result.
- The return on your investment is directly related to the prevailing market price of the Company's shares, which will trade at a varying discount (or premium) relative to the value of the underlying assets of the Company. As a result losses (or gains) may be higher or lower than those of the Company's assets.
- The Company may use gearing as part of its investment strategy. If the Company utilises its ability to gear, the profits and losses incured by the Company can be greater than those of a Company that does not use gearing.