In this video presentation, Hamish Chamberlayne, Portfolio Manager within Janus Henderson's Global Sustainable and Responsible Investment Team, dispels the major myths about sustainable investment. He explains how environmental and social megatrends will accelerate the transition to a low carbon economy and discusses some of the investment areas that stand to be disrupted.
- Population growth, ageing populations, resource constraints, and climate change are the key megatrends that will pressure the sustainability of the global economy.
- Market forces will drive the transition to low carbon, as the price of renewable energy, such as wind and solar, continues to fall.
- Significant disruption will happen across many sectors: electrification is already disrupting transport markets and the battery mega-factories are coming.
- The team believes that carbon is the ‘big short’: significant asset divesting is happening in the market.
- The future sustainability of the global economy requires change across multiple sectors: the team says sustainability makes good business and investment sense.